Thursday, July 2, 2009

One Year Old

One year. I remember like it was last month splitting my time between work, home and the hospital. I am sure every parent can understand this, but it just doesn't feel like it has been a year. But it was a year, and an amazing, wonderful, educational, emotional, scary, happy, best year of my life.

There were just so many firsts. The first time she looked where I pointed. The first time she ate food. The first time she held her own bottle. The first sign she did (which I believe was 'Thank You'). The day she learned to wave was really something. I came to pick her up at day care and she saw me and waved. I thought to myself, she didn't do that this morning. There were a lot of those moments. I waited for Aub to come home as I couldn't wait to show her. Porter waved proudly as Mama walked in. From then on she was known as 'Princess' at Kindercare as she waved to everyone. She still likes to wave although today I noticed she has changed her pagent wave to an up/down motion. Again, another change. All that is constant is change with this little nugget.

Every day we tell ourselves how lucky we are that we have such a good kid. She sleeps through the night, doesn't fuss (much, about as much as I do) and is just generally happy. I gave some advice to a friend of mine who is about to give birth today and I told her "Just laugh with your baby. Laugh and laugh and let him know how important this is". I think that is just so true. I think it is a big part of who this kid is turning out to be. She does love to laugh and I will still make a complete ass out of myself to make her do it. It is that important. (Side note, I pretty much make an ass out of myself daily anyway so this is really not a stretch, but I would like to convince you all of my continuing efforts)

How has life changed over this year? Well, we don't go out as much. Shocker. But we love being parents so I don't think the change has ever come to mind. When we are not around her, we miss her. It is harder now to just have a night to ourselves because we end up discussing the kid. I never understood this until I had a kid. I used to think parents were nuts, now I am convinced. You have to be a little nuts to do this. And that is just fine with me.

The party. It was great. It was all of baby chaos that I expected. Thank you to everyone who attended as it was the biggest party we have hosted at our house. We are still putting away all of the gifts. Or maybe we are just a little lazy.









Happy 4th to everyone! Have a great weekend! Papa Morck out! I had to include this last photo. How cute is this little chub?

1 comment:

Lou's News said...

Morck Family - I love your blog, little P is adorable and so little anymore. Enjoy your summer :) Wendy & Jim Zidar