Friday, September 10, 2010

2 Years Old - Not a baby anymore...

Wow, yesterday was such a day that I had to break my posting silence. Read: Get off your butt and put this stuff down or you will forget it! :)

So yesterday was a big day. Porter had her first dentist appointment and her first gymnastics 'class'. Where to start? Maybe I should back up a little and talk a little more about the person she is becoming. I am still constantly blown away but the fact that I can have full conversations with a 2 year old. She uses full sentences and sometimes will say things that just blow me away. Not just that can say it, but that she truly understands it. She knows how to wait her turn (thanks Kirkland Children's School) and most of time is a sweet, caring, loving kid. She can also freak out and throw her plate across the room and look defiantly right at you when she does it. Funny thing is she is usually the first to say "I want a time out".

Ok, let's get back to yesterday. Aubrey had the great idea to bring P along to the dentist a few weeks back for her regular checkup. Porter sat on Aub's lap and watched the whole thing. She knew what to expect. This turned out to be a great intro as for the next few weeks P kept saying "I go to dentist by myself". There has been a lot of "by myself" lately. I have no idea where this sense of independence comes from.... Have you met my wife????

I digress. So we go in and she hops right up on the chair. She has no problem when the hygienist starts working away. Even scraping her teeth she is sitting calmly. The hygienist after about 10 minutes tells us "You guys really need to know how good she is doing. You should be very, very proud". They say usually they are doing these with the kid spread out between mom's lap and the hygienist. Even the doctor was surprised when she came in later that Porter just sat in the chair. I really like her new dentist, I think we will be there for while.

So on the way home, Porter decides she no longer wants us to put her in the car seat. "I do it." And yes, she does it just fine. Wow, she is really growing up.

On to gymnastics. She is fascinated watching the older girls practice. Considering how much she loves to hang on things right now, I am not surprised. This class consists of a room set up for munchkins and then some time in the main facility. Understatement, she is all over this. I think her favorite thing was the pit of foam blocks. I wanted to take a dive in there myself. This actually happened by accident while not looking away from the video camera. I will tell you from experience they are really soft. Almost did it again right afterwards. I don't pay attention much. :)

I am really looking forward to more of these sessions. She is developing physically so fast right now. I swear that either I just didn't notice at the start or maybe I see it watching her interact in new environments but I swear she is a little different after each one. I see more confidence, more agilty, everything. I will say that I love her trampoline run. It's different in that she throws her legs out to the side. Not sure why she does it but it started on the neighbors trampoline (which she can't get enough of). Glad we have a few on our street and that our neighbors are cool people.

Done for now but I will probably think of more as this day progresses. Videos to follow.

No comments: