Saturday, July 26, 2008

The first few weeks

After a tough week trying just to get home from work, I finally start my time at home with the baby. She came home Wednesday, but I really didn't make it home until Saturday night. This was really tough for me. I wanted to be there when we brought her home but there was really no way out of it. I was really surprised how well Aub had adjusted to everything. By the time I was around, she had everything under control. Little Porter was feeding every four hours, and everything seemed normal. (begin foreshadowing... :-)

Fast forward two weeks ahead. We have a true newborn. This little girl can cry when she wants to. We realize how spoiled we were with her before as it was so easy when she woke up only when she was hungry. Now, we don't always know what she is trying to tell us. I'm sure every parent has seen this and probably is laughing out loud now. I guess I knew this was coming but hey, I can hope right?

First quick side note, I am selling the motorcycle. First, I hardly ever ride it anymore as I now commute on a bicycle. Second, it is more important to me to try to around for this little one. Now, you can't live your life in fear but I can cut back on the dangerous endeavors. I will miss it and maybe in the future, I will get another one. Aub was sad to see me sell the bike. This has been my decision and she understands but she always loved time on the bike.

Ok, since you know where we are I will skip back a little bit to the baby shower. Normally, not something I would want to attend. However, it was great to see everyone and I really have to hand it to Jan, Grace and my Mom, they REALLY did a great job. I probably ate at least 1/2 of the food (again, thank you ladies! I highly recommend the Cowboy Caviar). Some of my family that I have not seen for a while came to visit and I was so proud to show off my beautiful little girl. Oh, and everyone had been WAY too generous! Not that I mind, but I want you all to you know how much I appreciate it.

I am skipping all over the place as far as time so please bear with my. This is the result of someone who should be writing more often but neglecting his post. So I do have to say how much I love to take this little one out and about. Today we went to Greenlake. After a quick feeding under a tree (Aub had egg salad, Porter hit the bottle), we walked around the lake. She loves being in the stroller. So far, she has seen wonderous downtown Bothell, dined in Kirkland and now has tasted the metropolitan flair of North Seattle.

Needless to say, this last few weeks have flown by. I enjoyed my vacation (or manternity leave as I like to call it) but I need to get back to work. I am also not sure this was a 'vacation' by any means. How does a whole day dissapear and all you did was go for a one hour walk. I did have some big plans for my time at home but I also did figure they might not all turn out. Two weeks passed, I mowed the lawn. That is my big achievement.

A quick sidenote: Strawberry Kiss
When we left the hosptial, we noticed a little rash on her left cheek. We didn't think much of it until it became a little bigger, more red and a little raised. Well, this is a birthmark. Come find out, these are rare but found more in girls and preemies. Two for two. Apparently these marks grow for the first year or so, then spend the next four to ten years dissapearing. Hmmm... Word of advice, don't google this condition, as you will see extreme cases, which will tear your heart out.

I have to say at first this was really hard for me at first. I mean, you want the best for your baby and I guess i thought we were out of the woods. Again, parents are laughing out loud at this point. You are never out of the woods. I love this little girl and I just want her to have a good life and the first thing I think of is someone teasing her for her birthmark. I can't keep kids from being mean and I guess I can't kill myself trying. I just remember what it was like growing up. I could write a book here but I will hold back (however I am in talks for a movie deal - probably will go straight to the $3.99 bin at Target.)

The doctor says P's hemangioma is small, and may stay small but we are going to see a dermatologist next week as it seems there are some options to treat this early. Most important to know, these are benign and only cosmetic. Her health is great and that matters more than anything else to me right now. I will write more when we know more about this after we see the dermatologist. But for now, she is my beautiful girl with a strawberry kiss on her cheek.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Are we going to see any NEW pictures of PJ???