Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Home Sweet Home - Mama Morck's first blog

We made it! Home sweet home at last. Twenty days since my water broke and 13 days since little Porter's arrival. What a roller coaster ride this has been... all the other parents are telling us this is only the beginning. What have we gotten ourselves into? :)

Before I dive into today's going home events, I wanted to take a moment to give thanks to all the friends and family who have supported us during this tough time. Thank you!
AND to say thank you to my AMAZING husband. Dave has been so strong throughout this entire ordeal. He is my rock and truly the best man, best person I know. I do not know how I would of made it without his love, support and positive attitude. I am extremely blessed to have this wonderful man as the father of my baby girl and my partner. I LOVE this man!

On to the coming home story.
Earlier this week, Monday, the Doctors and nurses were very positive with the improvements little P has been making with her feeding. She was almost able to doubled her intake of 40ml per feeding to 70ml. 70ml is exactly where she needed to be to go home. They had said Tuesday would be the day we would be discharged.

However, we had a slight set back, the car seat test. With premie babies, before they go home, they must sit in their car seat for a minimum of 1 hour with the appropriate heart and oxygen levels. This is very important for the little ones, as their neck muscles are very young and if their head rolls forward or to one side, it can restrict their oxygen levels and .... well, I don't want to even write about what can happen. Scary stuff. Monday she failed the car seat test after 12 minutes.

The plan was to test her again on Tuesday and see how that goes. The nurses thought it was a fluke thing she failed on Monday, possibly due to a reflux issue. All the same, I would rather have her fail and get a few days stronger before we leave. Luckily Tuesday rolled around and Porter passed. Wednesday the 9th is our new assigned discharge date.

One more small problem, Dave's work commitment. Dave has been planning a new car launch event for Kia at the Suncadia resort in Cle Elum. Unfortunately, he is in charge of this event and must work some very long days this entire week. He will not be able to take Porter and I home. So we roll with Plan B.

This morning at 11 my folks came to the hospital. After watching the infant CPR DVD, the Pruatt Grandparents helped Porter and I pack up our stuff and load up the Benz. I drove, little P and my mom rode in the back seat with The Boss (aka Grandpa Pruatt) following shortly behind. My folks have been super. My dad went and got us lunch this afternoon and my mom helped us get settled. Thanks goodness for retired grandparents!

Porter and I have been home since noon and doing very well. We've found a great perch for her on a large ottoman in the family room and she's been sleeping there most all day. I'm sure the ottoman won't last long as she'll be wiggly and rolling over before we know it.
Dave is home from a long day, he and I have just finished up with our dinner and now Papa is giving Porter her bottle as I type (and cry = hormones!).

It is good to have the entire Morck family home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am crying as I read. Wow I am ho happy for you and the strength you have!

Hillary said...

She is just beautiful!!!!!!!!! You two did good!!! ;)

Brad and I are so happy for you "three" :). I am glad everyone is home happy and healthy.

All our love,
Hillary & Brad

Judith said...

Porter is absolutely beautiful! So happy to hear you are all home and doing well.
Let me know if you need anything,
Judith