Friday, June 27, 2008

Ok, the whole story

Sorry for the lateness of this post but I was too tired following the event of yesterday. Aub did all the real work but yet it still wore me out.

The day began as expected, with our nurse Kelly coming in to get us around 7:30. We were still sleeping (:-) as we heard this birth thing can be quite exhausting. The IV for the Pitocin went in around 9 a.m. and seemed to take effect pretty quickly. Aub had a few contractions the night before. Apparently her and Porter had a talk and Aub convinced her this would be the day. Luckily, she played along.


The contractions came in quite regularly. Aub knew she would get the epidural, it was just a question of when. It only took about a half hour from when we asked for it to show up. Aub was definately feeling pain and you could see the epidural take effect. Her face relaxed, her voice calmed and she was in a much better mood. The pushing began. We were making progress!


This peace would last for a while when all of sudden, Aub felt pain. BAD PAIN. It hit like a truck and started to really be concerned. She suffered through this but the pushing had to stop. We went from 0-100 in about 10 minutes. Kelly got on the phone right away calling the anesthesiologist and Aub's doctor. Things were not pretty and I began to worry for my wife. The anesthesiologist showed up about 5 minutes later and quickly found the line had been disconnected. Huh.

After a quick spurt of the fluid on Aub's face when he reconnected the line, life became good again. It took about 20 minutes to catch up to the pain, but then we were charging forward again. Around 5 or so, Kelly told me to look and you could just see this little bit of black hair. SHE WAS COMING!

There was another point where I looked down and saw the whole top of the head with this beautiful black, curly hair. I started to cry. I knew it would it would just be a few minutes more. Then we gathered everyone in the room. Grandmothers, doctor, another doctor, nurse, another nurse, lots of equipment. The room is filled. Not much room to breath, much less be modest at this point. And then, it happened. I saw the top of head poke out, then go right back in. One more big push and ... BABY!

Crazy! That is all I can say! The next thing I know I am cutting the cord. Again, CRAZY!

Then she is wiped down and mom gets to hold her. They need to take her upstairs quickly to make sure she is alright so I get to carry her. Look at this scared guy. Never has something so valuable and so fragile been in my hands. I love this little one and I have just met her.

I missed the rest of the action downstairs (not that I minded) and stayed upstairs with little Porter. The whole way up she watched me. These beautiful brown eyes stared up at me as if she already knew me. When we put her in the isolette she grabbed my finger. She let go only a few times to grab it again. She has quite a grip for those tiny little hands. She kept watching me. I kept thinking I could just look into these eyes forever.

A quick thanks to Kelly, our RN, she was great! She really helped us get through the day.

4 comments:

Rev SS said...

You are so beautiful little Porter Jolie! Welcome to the world ... and tell your mom and dad congratulations!

Rev SS said...

Sign that previous entry "Pastor Serena"

Emma said...

Ummm hello --- I know you are tired, but where are the stats???? :)

She's gorgeous! More pics please!

Jan in Edmonds said...

Baby girl Porter Jolie (PJ) weighed in at 5 1/2 lbs., 19.75 inches. Proud Gramma Jan here with buttons popping.