Monday, June 30, 2008

She is FEEDING!

Happy to report that the little one is out of the tanning bed :-) She is holding temperature and looking a bit more pink now. She did look cute with her little sunglass shades but I do prefer her more in natural light.

So yesterday was a tough day. Aub watched little P's heart rate drop to about 90. For this little kid, that is low. That was the first sign.

The hormones are coming, the hormones are coming!

She really struggled through the day. I think seeing her do so well and then needing the Isolette, the light and some extra heat just set things off. I know Aub also felt like she didn't want to disturb her as the more time in the light, the better. However, our nurse also wanted to get her breast feeding. We did have a few tries before but nothing really happened.

So this time was tough at first but after a few tricks from our fabulous nurse, Porter latched on and started feeding... and feeding... and feeding. They were going to give her 5ccs of mama's milk. The nurse joked with us that she thought she was getting much more than that. We weighed her and ... 18ccs! It's the silly little things but I LOVE that she is getting food going through that little system. And it really helped Aub. I mean REALLY helped her. This bonding was wonderful to witness and just what she needed. I think the nurse saw that right from the start.

Today Aub fed her three times. 30 ccs in one feeding. She really is a Morck, she loves to eat! I want her to get those chubby little legs and cheeks before we get her out of there. One of the things they are really looking to see her do before she leaves is that she is eating well. Hopefully, we are on that road.

I will again say it is the little things I love. I see daily changes in her like watching her get stronger with the binky, learning how the whole breast feeding thing works, etc. This is something I don't think anyone who is not a parent could understand. I just keep thinking forward to how much I can teach her, and how much she will teach me.

It is still hard to leave her every day but I always know she is in good hands. I hope Aub can get some sleep. She has been so good in getting up and pumping every three hours. She lets me sleep through the night even though I always ask if I can help. I'm sure there will be plenty to do here soon enough!

No comments: